Friday, August 8, 2014

Think I Can't Be Eloquent? Think Again.

This post is regarding a debate regarding Facebook's new Messenger app. Someone wrote an article full of paranoia and idiocy, making outrageous claims about the app permissions. Here is part of the tail end of the debate, when someone accused me of being "self-righteous," bashing people (I honestly wasn't), and on a high horse. This is what I had to say to that, and about the idiocy rampant in our culture in general. Enjoy.
_______________________________________________________________________________

First off, if I was "bashing," you'd know it. I wasn't.

Second, I have no patience for people who buy into every sensationalist load of garbage someone posts out there without doing any research themselves on the subject, THEN repost said garbage, thus--intentionally or not--spreading said garbage further into the public, which in turns causes various levels of hysteria and outrage that I get to see directed at the company I work for, and others, who are guilty of nothing, and for no reason other than the public bought a bunch of BS written by an attention-seeking idiot and spread enthusiastically by others.

It's articles like that, and people who share them (who are trying to do a good thing, I understand, but aren't), who are contributing to the dumbing down of society. I don't want society dumbed down. I want people to fact-check for themselves before buying sensationalist BS.

Do I seem aggressive about it? Good, because I am. I want society to THINK, which they are all doing less and less of lately. No, tech companies aren't saints, but they aren't devils either. And much of what is attributed to them by people who, when asked if their computer runs on Windows and they reply "Internet Explorer," is nothing more than fantastical thinking combined with a colossal ignorance of the subject they're so willing to vilify.

In short, if it's OMGZ THEY'RE DOING EEEEEEVVVVVIIILLLL, you might want to pause, take a breath, and use google for its intended purpose before freaking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment