Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"Say What?" Part 8: Some People Just Don't Get Satyr

(Brought to my attention by the lovely Natasha Ahmed via Twitter. This may be a one-off, but it's so egregious, especially considering who committed this offense, that I had to include it.)

"It might be a satyr and all, but I did not like it." 




And here's a picture of one, in case you're curious:




The above quote came directly from a self-proclaimed book reviewer's site, and it was a one-sentence review of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. Of course, we're all aware that the main storyline--about a man pretending to be his own brother, and the drama and mixups that ensue--is a well-crafted front for a truly insightful look at the lives of lustful Greek beings who only want to party their asses off and bang the ladies until dawn...right?

And I totally get it. Being assaulted with loads of seemingly innocent imagery and passages that hide an agenda promoting the awesomeness of satyrs, in a book that never mentions them, would grind on my nerves, too. I get enough satyr in my daily life, thank you. I don't need to read something that flaunts it throughout the entire story, albeit in a very ninja-like fashion. So ninja-like, in fact, that I don't think many people realize that a story about a man pretending to be his brother is really a "satyr acceptance" indoctrination campaign.

*Satire, and you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment